Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Not-So-Funny Valentine

So Thursday was my first Valentine’s Day ever. Ok; it is a holiday that is far too commercialized, I agree. But so is Christmas, and you don’t see us boycotting it. I think that Valentine’s Day is a day to celebrate love, however you choose to do so. Grant worked the day shift and I worked evenings, so we didn’t really expect to get together on the actual date, but on a whim I invited him to stay the night and he did. He seemed a little reluctant to do so, saying that my Valentine’s gift wasn’t quite ready yet, but I assured him that was fine, seeing as we were both working and hadn’t expected to be seeing each other that day. He proceeded to apologize and said that his reason for not having it ready in time was that he had been too preoccupied with getting the Internet set up on his computer! *slaps me in the face* He did say he would make it up to me early the next week on one of his days off, so I tried not to let it get to me.

Tonight on the phone, he asked me if I wanted to meet up with two friends of his for drinks on Tuesday. I reminded him that we had planned to do our Valentine’s celebrating either Monday or Tuesday, as these were his only days off that week. He replied by saying that he was “kinda broke” *slaps me in the face* and when that was met by silence he proceeded to gush about how much he loves me and misses me, blowing kisses into the phone. He asked me if I wanted to do something else on Tuesday, just the two of us, or if I wanted to go with his friends for drinks. I said it didn’t matter.

Anyone reading this (although no one can read this) would probably think I was a real bitch. I’d like to say something in my defense: I’m not demanding that he take me out for an expensive dinner, or an inexpensive dinner, or buy me a bouquet of roses, or even buy me a Valentine. What I would like is to see (by his actions and not merely by his words) is that celebrating our love is more important to him than his bloody Internet, and that it is also significant enough to have saved a little (and I mean a little) cash to be used for celebrating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home